Wednesday 12 March 2014

Wild Wasabi Crocodile Gift Box


Hello and welcome to another crafty day at Stampin' Sarah. This is a scheduled post so no exciting news to share with you just yet. But rest assured I will be posting photos of our new little girl just as soon as I am home.

Today, as promised, I am sharing these fab little crocodile gift boxes. I'd seen this box on Nadine Weiner's blog (a German Demonstrator). However, I think the translation went slightly awry as I made some mistakes on putting the larger croc box together (it should have had slightly smaller front and edges to allow for the teeth when closing the box). So I decided to have a go at making a smaller baby croc box and correct the mistakes I'd made with my first attempt.

I also thought this little set would make a perfect gift for my cousin's little boy who has just welcomed a new baby brother to the world.



These boxes are incredibly simple to create as they are based on a simple mini pizza box design. 

To make the mini baby croc I started with a 10 x 16.5cm rectangle of Wild Wasabi cardstock. I scored along the 16.5cm side at 1.5cm, 6.5cm, 9cm and 14cm. I scored along the 10cm side at 1cm, 2.5cm, 7.5cm and 9cm. You then need to cut your score lines as below (the bold black lines) and also cut a 1cm strip off your two edge panels which will form the top lid of your box (shown below as the two stepped pieces cut on the left hand top and bottom edges). This 1cm strip cut out allows you to comfortably add teeth to your box and close it securely.


To finish the croc face I used a panel of Pistachio Pudding Coredinations cardstock which I ran through the Big Shot using my Decorative Dots Embossing Folders (yours free for a few more weeks with an order of £45 during Sale-A-Bration! Get your order to me before the end of March to qualify for the extra lovely freebies!). I sanded the panel with my Stampin' Sanding Block and then inked the edges with Old Olive ink using a sponge dauber. I layered this on to a panel of Old Olive Ink. I create the eyes with punched circles of Wild Wasabi which I cut a small slit in to which I shaped round to give the 3D effect. For the larger box I finished the eyes with smaller circles punched in Whisper White and Basic Black. For the baby box I used googly eyes from my retired Stampin' Up! stash.

The final detail to give the croc definition is to stamp a border using your Scallop Edge Border Punch and a 2cm strip of Whisper White. Once you have your scalloped strip using sticky strip or Tombow you can secure the right lengths to the top inside of your box to create the crocodile teeth.

If you'd like to have a go at the larger box also you can follow the translated instructions on Nadine's blog. She uses a 16cm x 29cm rectangle to begin with which then creates a 10cm square croc box.

If you'd like to find out more about Sale-A-Bration, please pop by my 'Promotions' tab at the top or drop me a line on poulton_sarah@yahoo.co.uk or 01983 609249. Sale-A-Bration is the best time of the year for ordering Stampin' Up! products. Who doesn't love a good freebie? 


Happy Crafting

-X-

No comments:

Post a Comment