Monday 26 August 2013

Festive tealight stamping tutorial



Good morning and welcome to the first of my festive shares of the week. This is one of our main projects from the Christmas Crafty Days, a stamped tealight holder with a set of matching tealights. I had seen this technique demonstrated at a Stampin' Up! Regional event and fallen in love with the idea as it makes a perfect technique to teach as well as providing a perfect Christmas gift project.

The tealight holders are thick glass and are able to withstand the temperatures of heat embossing. I purchased these from IKEA. I would suggest if you are going to give this technique a go that you are very careful with the holders you purchase as they become very hot during the embossing process.

Here is how we created the tealight holder:

1) Prime your glass tealight holder. I patted my embossing buddy all over the glass leaving a lot of the anti static powder all over the surface.

2) Choose which stamps you want to decorate your glass. We used Snowflake Soiree and Festive Flurry. Ink up using Versmark and stamp on to your glass. You need to use a rolling stamping technique to follow the shape of the holder. I pressed my stamp on to the glass and then carefully rolled to each side to ensure the whole image was captured. I stamped & embossed two images at a time. The beauty of stamping on to glass is if it doesn't go perfectly first time you can always wipe clean and start again.

3) Cover your stamped image with embossing powder (I used gold and silver). Use your heat tool to heat the embossing powder. The embossing powder takes a bit longer to heat up and 'change' than it would during normal papercrafting so don't worry if it doesn't happen straight away.


To create the matching stamped tealights:

1) Stamp your chosen image on to white tissue paper (I purchased mine from my local supermarket in the wrapping aisle). I used one of the snowflakes from Snowflake Soiree stamped in Cherry Cobbler.

2) Sandwich your tissue paper between normal copy paper and then punch using a matching size circle punch. I used my 1" Circle Punch. Which still sandwiched between the copy paper I also used my pokey tool to make a hole through the centre for the candle wick.

3) Place your tissue paper circle over your candle wick onto the top of your candle and then heat using your heat tool. Once the wax begins to melt you will see the tissue paper change colour as the wax melts over the top of your tissue circle. This then seals your image in to the wax. We created a set of 4 tealights to package away with our holder in the matching box.


To finish the project I used the lovely Season of Style Designer Series Paper (Page 23 of the Autumn Winter catalogue) to cover a Kraft Gift Box (Page 160 of the Main Catalogue). We then created a bow using the Gift Bow Bigz L Die (Page 37 of the Autumn Winter Catalogue) cut from Brushed Gold cardstock. To finish we stamped a piece of white tissue paper with snowflake images to create a perfectly matching insert for the box (to cushion the tealight holder and candles).

I have spaces available through September and October for my fabulous festive themed workshops. Please get in touch to find out more or book your date. My crafty parties are a fun filled evening of making with friends with product freebies and techniques included too. I'd love to chat to you more about Stampin' Up! and the versatility of our products across crafting techniques.

Thank you for stopping by today. If you have any questions about the products or techniques used today please get in touch directly on poulton_sarah@yahoo.co.uk or 01983 609249. I'd be more than happy to help. 

Happy Crafting
-xXx-



3 comments:

  1. Wow how cool, i looooooove this idea, never ever thought of doing anything like it before, Thank you for sharing it Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I love this, beautiful project Sarah, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments Samantha and Michelle. This was a really fun project to create and I've already heard from a few people who are trying the technique themselves too. Great for a gift or a home decoration xx

    ReplyDelete